Day 310 of retirement

Hi All

Sunday 12th December:

Usual Sunday. I cleaned and waxed the Thunder Monster then we headed for Gasan where Guy played Mahjong at the “office” and I caught up with the expats at the Barbarossa for the afternoon.

Miracles do happen. Wi-Fi just started working again at Barbarossa for my MacBook. Have no idea what I did but after a very frustrating month or so it now works again (touch wood).

Met two new aussies, John & Geoff. Geoff is married to a local gal and they have a block behind the airport where they intend to build eventually. They are only here till the New Year visiting family.

Guy had a little loss today. Can’t win them all.

A very pleasant relaxing day indeed.

Monday 13th December:

Time for a visit to the market in Gasan as the cupboard is getting a little bare. We were well and truly loaded up on the Thunder Monster by the time we were finished. Guy had a backpack full along with two “Woolies” carry bags and I had a full shoulder bag slung over my shoulder.

Ooohhh the total cost of our major buy up was P1,200 ($30.00 AUS).

Nice leisurely lunch and we then watched an afternoon movie while resting after our hectic morning’s shopping.

Had an afternoon visit from Geoff and Dave (Canadian) who is here for Xmas with his fiancée, Ellie. She lives here on Marinduque while Dave works in Canada up north in the Tar sands oil business.

Dave is only 46 so got s few years yet to go to retirement. But he has built his house here (over Mogpog way) where Ellie lives while he is away working. Ron and I visited Ellie some time ago and had a look at the house. It is small but very nice and it is back from the coast at the foothills of the mountains.

Had our usual beach walk before dinner and we were able to deliver some more photos to a family up the beach (gave them to two of the kids). The pics were of the kids and adults taken during a party that was on the go as I was walking past. The kids loved the pics of themselves and ran off to show the adults, full of huge grins.

Tuesday 14th December:

Geoff was supposed to come by at 8:30am as we were heading off to try and find the Paadyao water falls that I haven’t been able to find twice before. Well he arrived at 7:45am, just a tad early. Now some of you may remember that I had a bit of a reputation for being “early”. Well I have finally met my match with Geoff and John (the Poms). They are always early, very early.

Anyway after a tea & coffee we headed off Mogpog way. Stopped into Dave’s (the Canadian) place to see if he wanted to join us. He was busy doing house stuff so Geoff and I headed off.

We found the correct road and into the mountains we went following the river. Little chats to locals along with Geoff seeing some familiar landmarks (he was here about 5 years ago) put us on the right track.

I had my first little “off” on the Thunder Monster on the road in. Tried to take a short cut along a wet muddy riverbank and the nice slick road tires just slipped away and down we went. Ego hurt more than anything. Bent the left foot peg a little along with the gear lever. The bend in the gear lever actually makes it easier for gear changes with my bigger feet so going to leave the bend as is.

Finally found the correct spot so we parked the bikes and followed a small track back up a side creek.

About 1km later we were rewarded with this beautiful waterfall. We had found it. We explored round the base and as it was pretty hot and sweaty I went for a swim in the deep pool at the foot of the falls. Very refreshing.

Then back to Boac for a nice cold Coke before arriving back home at 1:00pm ish. Late lunch and an afternoon siesta were a great way to end the adventure.

Guy and I made a late afternoon trip into Barbarossa for some Wi-Fi as I have now fixed the issue I was having with connecting. No idea what I did but the MacBook is now connecting.

Home in time to get some freshly cooked sweet corn from the supermarket and to see another stunning sunset and relax for the evening.

Wednesday 15th December:

Today is dedicated to my adventurer niece Nicola who 12 months ago was taken from us tragically in the prime of her life. It is a sad day but also a great remembrance of Nic who touched the hearts of many while encouraged them to pursue their dreams. Nic was a fellow adventurer who climbed mountains, mountain biked, rock climbed, hiked, rode motorbikes and loved the great outdoors. See you out on the trails Nic……

Leisurely morning as Guy is off to Mahjong with Vicki at midday. I was going to go exploring but with rain showers about decided to watch the midday movie and then have a little siesta.

The rain was reduced to showers so decided to walk the long way along the beach to the supermarket. Once I dropped off the supplies at the cottage I kept walking down the beach in the opposite direction. Finished up walking for a couple of hours and it was rather enjoyable. Nice refreshing shower and a cold Coke in the Nipa Hut toasting Nicola as the sun set over the sea.

Thursday 16th December:

Guy is off to Mahjong with Vicki and Ron and I are off to Boac and to call into Geoff & John’s (aussies) place behind the airport.

I meet John and Geoff at Barbarossa last Sunday. They are both from Bundaburg in Queensland and married to Filipinos. Geoff’s wife is from the Boac area and they have a block on the beach where they are planning to build a house. Currently building the fence and storage shed. Geoff has a small vegetable farm and is semi retired. He spends his time between here and AUS as he is only 63 so not quite at the retirement age of 65.

John is retired back in AUS and is here looking round with the possibility of also retiring here on Marinduque.

We had a good old chat to them before heading to Boac where I got some very nice Mangoes for dinner. They are very soft and very very sweet and at P80 ($2.00 AUS) per kilo, a bargain.

Back home at 4:00pm where I managed a little siesta before Guy returned home from her Mahjong.

Friday 17th December:

Rest day today after our busy week. Quick trip to the Gasan markets in the morning for some Pork Sinigang ingredients for tomorrow. Followed by a leisurely lunch. Then back to Barbarossa for a few hours in the afternoon for some Wi-Fi to sort out emails and web stuff.

And back home for a very quiet evening.

A very restful day and it was kind of nice to not do much.

Saturday 18th December:

Early 5:30am start as I was meeting up with Gerald at sunrise and we were heading off on a 4-hour hike (about 12km). Meet Gerald and we headed down the main road hoping to catch a Jeepney for the 4km trip to the start of the walk.

2km and no Jeepney but along came Ron so he gave us a lift. We walked in on a road past the big status up on the hill that Guy and I visited a few weeks ago. Then followed a creek, crossed a ridge and back onto another road into a little township.

Out the other side and up the riverbed looking for a turn off that leads to a waterfall. We got a bit bushed at this stage and headed up the wrong turnoff. The jungle was rather thick and it was hard to tell where the river went, as there were lots of side streams.

But it was a great walk following the river / creek beds and not to hot that early. We walked out following the main road into the township and about half way out we came across two aussies (Gary and (can’t remember his name)) in a new house. Turns out Gary is married to a local and they spend a few months each year here. Their house is out of the way and well off the main road so they don’t get to mix much with the other expats.

Home in time for a nice cool refreshing shower and hot Pork Sinigang that Guy had just cooked.

Cherry was also here doing the washing and she also gave the floors a Xmas wash and cleaned the bathroom. We pay her P170 ($4.25 AUS) for her days work and as it is Xmas we also gave her a bonus of P200 ($5.00 AUS) as is customary here.

Nice siesta in the afternoon and a very relaxed evening.

Life is good.

Trevor & Guy



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: