Day 820 of retirement

To view the photo descriptions please click on the “Permalink” at the bottom right hand corner of the pic in the slide show. Once in the descriptions slide show you can view the full size pic by clicking on it.

Hi All

Saturday 5th May:

Sleep in this morning. First brownout, in quite some time, which lasted for 1-hour and commenced just before 10:00am.

Guy off to Mahjong at midday and I did a run to the market for some supplies. Once I had dropped them off I grabbed the MacBook and hit the Google IT café for some Wi-Fi to post the blog.

We had two big storms build up today but they were all thunder and lightning and no rain in our neck of the woods. Dammmmm…..

Ron also made it home today after his visit to the hospital in Lucena (On the mainland) with his irregular heartbeat problem.

Sunday 6th May:

The Thunder Monster didn’t get a wash (she was still clean as no rain this week) this morning but she did get a thorough wipe over and wax.

11:15am I dropped Guy off at Mahjong and I grabbed a half hour of Wi-Fi before the expat gathering.

The Barbarossa (our usual expat gathering place) is currently closed till further notice due to Laura (the proprietor) passing away last week. There is no news on when or if it will reopen for business.

So today we meet across the road in a small “canteen”. There is another restaurant that is opening in a few weeks in Gasan so we will probably continue using the “canteen” till the new place opens and see what it is like.

To conclude the day I watched the MotoGP in Portugal and Casey Stoner take away a good win. This win puts him at the top of the ladder for this season.

I finished reading my 28th book of the year “Priceless” by Robert Wittman & John Shiffman (Kindle Book). This is a really great read about an FBI undercover art and antiquities recovery agent, Robert Wittman. Even for an art Neanderthal like me I found it very interesting.

Monday 7th May:

A slow morning. Into the market for some supplies for the next few days. We usually do a big buy up on Tuesday’s (market day) but the market was very well stocked with fresh produce today hence the buy up.

After doing a cook up in the morning before it got too hot, we rested for the rest of the day. Reading and a siesta under the fan were the order of the day.

This is the first time ever in my life that I finished reading a book in a single day. Started first thing in the morning and finished in the evening. It was a good book.

It was my 29th book of the year “Kiss The Girls” by James Patterson (Kindle Book). A really great murder mystery, with a twist at the end that I didn’t pick at all.

Tuesday 8th May:

A quick trip into the market, for a couple of simple things (ice cube tray and dishwash rack), which proved unsuccessful. See “The Simple Things” below for further info.

Guy was off to Mahjong at midday and I made my way to Boac to see if I could find “the simple” things I was after. And once again, no luck after visiting the market and other hardware shops. Oh well will have to wait for our next trip to Manila and the mall.

Riding to and from Boac in the midday heat was a bit like riding in an oven. Really hot and humid once again.

At 5:00pm I made my way to the Google IT café and Guy joined me after Mahjong at 5:45pm. Just after 7:00pm we finished up and made our way home in the nice cool evening.

Wednesday 9th May:

At 9:00am I headed to Gerald’s for a cup of tea and a chat (no walk today). Discussed the final planning for the lunch on Friday at his place for the Pulis who helped us out with our across the island walk.

Back home, picked up Guy and we made our way to see Ron after his visit to the hospital in Lucena (on the mainland) last week with his high blood pressure / racing heart issue. He doesn’t look real well and even said he was feeling like sh…t. And for Ron to admit that, he must still be feeling off color. He is on medication now so hopefully he is on the mend. Still, he isn’t doing bad for someone who is 77 years old.

On the way home we called into our block, as it has been a while since we were there. There is a bit of litter scattered about from the workers building the Japanese house who lived there for some months. A day there with the boys and we will have it all cleaned up.

We didn’t see the Japanese there so we shall go back another day and catch up with them. They are living in their house but there is still some work to be done to finish it.

An afternoon of resting out of the midday sun was enjoyed by all.

Thursday 10th May:

A quick trip into the market first thing for some supplies for the next few days.

Ailyn the massage lady was late today as she had visitors from the fiesta they had in their Barangay yesterday. She arrived at 11:30am for my 2-hour massage, and very nice it was.

Guy headed off to Mahjong at midday and once Ailyn finished I had a late lunch. At 2:00pm I did a quick ride into town to order two roast chickens for our lunch with the Pulis at Gerald’s tomorrow. The chicken man roasts the chickens over a charcoal fire on a hand rotisserie. They are good roast chickens. They are P200 ($4.80 AUS) each and worth every Pesos.

At 5:00pm I headed to the Google IT café for some Wi-Fi and got a MacBook OS update done. I meet Guy there after her Mahjong game so she could catch up on email stuff.

Back home for American Idol……

Big storm came through (lasted a couple of hours) in the last half hour of idol so we missed the last bit. Ooohhh well always the repeat tomorrow to catch up. The storm clouds disrupt the TV satellite signal rather easily.

Had enough rain to settle the dust but it isn’t the start of the wet season yet.

Friday 11th May:

Cherry here at 8:00am for the washing and cleaning.

At 11:30am we caught up with the chicken roast man, picked our two freshly roasted chickens and made our way to Gerald’s for the lunch with the Boac Pulis. These are the lady and gents who assisted us with our across the island walk and kept track of our progress and welfare.

We arrived at 12:00 noon with the Pulis arriving at 1:00pm.

A great time was had by all with lots to eat, drink and interesting tales told.

And just to make it interesting we had a couple of brownouts (1:00pm to 2:00pm & 3:30pm to 4:30pm).

We arrived home just after 3:45pm so I did a rubbish burn up and beach litter cleanup (very little litter today).

Life is good

Trevor & Guy

The Simple Things:

On market day we made our way into the Gasan market to get an ice cube tray and a dish rack (for drying dishes). Well we tried all the stalls in the market and a hardware shop in town and nothing.

I also went to Boac (the largest town on the island) and still no luck.

Considering that the majority of people here on the island would not have a fridge I guess it shouldn’t be surprising that ice cube trays are difficult to get.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: