Day 848 of retirement

To view the photo descriptions please click on the “Permalink” at the bottom right hand corner of the pic in the slide show. Once in the descriptions slide show you can view the full size pic by clicking on it.

Hi All

Saturday 2nd June:

It rained again last night so it was a bit cooler this morning. We have tropical storm “Ambo” off to the east of us. It is heading north away from us so all we are getting is some rain, which is good.

A cloudy morning greeted us at breakfast. As it looked like rain again we caught a Jeepney into town to get some supplies. First stop was Google IT café to do emails and post the blog.

Then, across the road to the market for some supplies for the next few days. Home for a bit of a rest before an early lunch and Guy off to Mahjong at midday. I dropped into Barbarossa to see Geoff (Pom) and Russell (Canadian) for a chat before heading off to Boac to get a few things.

In my travels I found a front tire for the Thunder Monster. You see most of the bikes on the island have 17” wheels but the Thunder Monster has 18” wheels so tires are not always available. So I grabbed this one quick along with a tube.

My existing front tire is still good for a few thousand kilometers yet but I now have a replacement when I need it. I replaced the rear tire a few thousand kms ago and had to use a non standard tire. But as it turned out it is actually better than the original tire.

I also found a box of Lipton tea. They have been all sold out in Gasan and the market and my supply was getting low. And I can’t do without my cup of tea…..

Back home and I dropped off the supplies and a quick trip back to Google IT café for some Wi-Fi.

Sunday 3rd June:

Tropical storm “Ambo” has now been classified as a Typhoon. It is way out northeast from us and moving away. The only effect was some rain and windy condition which has made the sea high and rough. It will clear over the next few days.

Both bikes got their wash and wax earlier in the week so still nice and shiny today.

Mid morning I rode up to see Geoff (Pom) and borrowed a helmet from him for when Sandy (Sister) and Brian (Bro-in-law) are here next week. I am going to buy a new one for the second helmet as I can get a new helmet with a tinted visor for P550 ($10.60 AUS) so will pick that up this week.

11:30am ish and I headed to Google IT café for some Wi-Fi and Guy made her way to Mahjong. At midday I joined the expat gathering at Barbarossa.

Home late afternoon and watched the Catalunya (Spain) MotoGP. Casey Stoner came in 4th. Not an ideal result but okay this early in the season.

Monday 4th June:

We are still under the tail of Typhoon “Ambo” with cloudy skies, windy conditions and rough seas. Not much rain at the moment though.

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our morning walk. We did a quick one up and back to Calong in the boondocks.

It is the first day of ‘back to school’ today after the summer holidays. So all the kids were streaming out of the boondocks on their way to school as we walked to Calong.

We took “Hamani,” Gerald’s Labrador large puppy with us for some exercise. Unfortunately she got into trouble by tripping Gerald over in her exuberance to have a chat to a local piglet.

Gerald took a spectacular tumble but luckily only lost some skin off his knee so was okay.

Back home and the first job was to remove the front tire from John’s (Pom) Thunder Monster 2 as it had a flat. A wander half a km down the road to the local vulcanizing shop had the tube fixed okay. I re-fitted the wheel and went for a quick ride to ensure that all was good including the speedo.

Next was the front disk brake. It was a bit spongy and the fluid a touch low so I topped up the fluid and after a few pumps the sponginess was gone and the brake was back to normal.

Next job was to give the veranda a scrub as the green mold has returned with the wet and humid conditions. I gave it a wash with detergent and then hosed it all off. Should keep the mold at bay for a while.

Last job for the morning was to take our empty gas cylinder and a water container into Gasan in a trike to replace them. Guy and I had a little rest after our busy morning and lunch.

The afternoon’s activity was a trip into the Google IT café for some Wi-Fi.

Tuesday 5th June:

Market day so off to the market for some fresh supplies.

At midday I dropped Guy off at Mahjong and went to see Ron (Yank). He was back in Manila last week for another check up on his Arrhythmia and the meds he is taking. All good and he looks and feels a lot better now.

But he did have a bit of a bad day on Sunday when he got a dose of food poisoning. It was one of those 24-hour things where shall we say he had things coming out of his body from a few places at once. He’s better today but still a little weak from dehydration.

Then it was off to see if I could get some chain lube for the bikes. Now you would think that with 90% of the vehicles on the island being motorcycles that chain lube should be readily available. Wrong…… So what do all these motorcycle people use? Old motor oil cause it’s free. Not for me I’m afraid, as it is dirty and not that good a chain lube really.

I dropped into five stores in Gasan and none. Even the store where I originally got some proper chain lube didn’t have any. So off to Boac and on the third shop stop I finally found some proper spray on sticky chain lube. I bought a couple of cans so should see me out for the next year.

Back to Gasan and I called into to see Gil (The artist and restaurant owner). We had a great chat about photography and the art of capturing images. It’s great to find a fellow artist on the island with whom to have a good old chinwag.

Wednesday 6th June:

Another King Tide today and with the strong southerly blowing, it is the highest we have seen it since being here. The front fence is under water but the rest of the property is fine.

At midday I dropped Guy off at Mahjong and I made my way to our block. I wanted to have a look and see the results of the King Tide on our boundary / beach. All good as even with the high tide it hasn’t encroached past the beachhead.

I dropped by home and grabbed my laptop and headed to Kevin’s (Aussie) farm just up the road. He has the SMART Broadband USB stick for his laptop and reckons it wasn’t working. I set up his and my laptops and we tested the connection.

Turns out he has the same problem I have at the cottage. There is no broadband coverage from SMART so there wasn’t anything I could do. He will have to do what we do for Internet and go into Gasan and one of the Wi-Fi establishments.

On the way home I dropped into Barbarossa for an Iced Tea with Geoff (Pom) and Russell (Canadian).

At 4:30pm I arrived at the Google IT café for some Wi-Fi. Guy arrived at 5:15pm so after doing all our Internet stuff we cruised home at 6:30pm.

I finished reading my 34th book of the year “Jack & Jill” by James Patterson (Kindle Book). A good murder mystery thriller.

Thursday 7th June:

It rained quite a bit last night and into mid morning as we are now under a Monsoon depression. The day was cool and cloudy so it kept the temperature down a bit which was nice.

Ailyn the massage lady didn’t turn up as we suspect she was stuck back in the hills where she lives. It is about 8km back in the hills on a rough mountain dirt road and when it rains she has trouble getting out, as the Jeepney won’t run on the wet slippery road.

They only have two Jeepney’s a day (2 out in the morning and two back in the evening) so if they are cancelled, she’s stuck. And she has no mobile phone signal either so she can’t let us know if she is stuck.

At midday I dropped Guy at Mahjong and I hit the market for some supplies. I also picked a new motorcycle helmet (P550 ($13.00 AUS)) for Brian (Bro-in-law) when he is here next week and riding the other Thunder Monster.

I dropped all the goodies home and cruised back to the Google IT café for some Wi-Fi. I just got connected and we had a brownout. With no power I made my way up to Barbarossa and had an iced tea with Geoff and Russell.

The power came back on within the hour so back to the Google IT café and completed my Wi-Fi stuff.

Friday 8th June:

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our morning walk. We did a beach walk today as it would be muddy and slippery back in the boondocks. It was interesting to see the minor changes in the coastline after the King Tides and southerlies of the last few days.

Back home and Cherry here for the washing and cleaning. She did some extra cleaning today in preparation for my sister and brother in law’s arrival on Sunday.

Also got a text from Ailyn (the massage lady) to say that she could come this morning for my massage after missing yesterday. So I got my massage after all and very nice it was after the early morning walk.

After lunch it was rubbish burn up time. As the weather has settled down and we have a nice day it was time to clean up the beach after the rough week.

There was a bit more rubbish than usual but I had it all clean up and burnt in no time so all good.

I finished reading my 35th book of the year “Last Wild Place” by Rosemary Patterson (Kindle Book). A short story about tourism, corruption and kidnapping in Western Papuan New Guinea (Irian Jaya)

Life is good.

Trevor & Guy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: