Day 905 of retirement

Click on a photo below for the slide show. The slide show has the descriptions of each pic below the photos. You can also leave comments in this area.

To view the full size photo in a separate window, go to the bottom right hand corner of the photo info and click on “View full size”. You can download the photo from this window if you wish.

Hi All

Saturday 28th July:

Busy day today. I dropped Guy off at Mahjong at 10:00am. Then off to the market for supplies for the next few days where I ran into John (Pom). One of his older (7 years old) Labradors (Dick was his name) died last night so he was a little glum.

I rode back to the cottage and dropped off the supplies before making my way to Boac (22km away).

On the way I dropped in to see Wayne (Aussie) who lives just outside of Boac. He is back from immigration this last week where he finalized his probationary residency papers. I had a chat to him and Grace (Local wife) and enjoyed a nice cool orange juice.

Into Boac and managed to find all that I was after so cruised back home along the coast. Once home, it was a latish lunch. After lunch I grabbed the laptop and cruised into Google IT for some Wi-Fi to post the blog.

Made it home in time to cook up Pork spareribs (with secret herbs & spices) for dinner. It is one of my favorite meat dishes.

Sunday 29th July:

The rain started about 9:00 last night and rained steadily all night and all day as we are currently under the influence of Tropical Storm “GENER”.

No wash or wax for the Thunder Monster today as she remained tucked under cover.

Guy caught a Jeepney into mahjong just before 10:00am and I walked into town just after her, under my trusty big umbrella. First stop was Google IT for some Wi-Fi. The second stop at midday was the Barbarossa for the expat gathering.

At 3:30pm with the rain still steadily falling, I had a leisurely walked back home. I like walking in the rain.

Monday 30th July:

A wild and wooly night last night from Tropical Storm “GENER”. The wind is blowing a gale and the seas are very rough. Luckily my Monday morning walk with Gerald was postponed yesterday till Tuesday.

I got up at 4:30am to watch the MotoGP race in Laguna Seca, USA. Another good race with Casey Stoner taking out the winner’s podium. It still puts him some 32 point behind and sitting in third place on the overall leader board. With eight races to go it will be a tough call to retain his number 1 title this year.

At 10:00am I had a look at the weather outside as we had to go to Boac (22km away) to see the bank and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) about motorcycle helmets.

As the weather didn’t look too bad rain wise we decided to chance it and ride the Thunder Monster to Boac. We made it there and almost back home (the last 5km) before the heavens opened up and I got soaked and Guy was a little better off with me shielding most of her in the rain as we rode (couldn’t be bothered with stopping and putting the ponchos on).

The bank stuff was all sorted quickly (they give fantastic service and nothing is too much trouble for them). Then off to DTI for the approval papers for our motorcycle helmets.

You see, up till now you could wear any sort of helmet (or variation there of) on your motorcycle, as there were no standards covering helmets. They are now bringing in a system whereby you have to have your helmet inspected then an “Approval” sticker stuck to that helmet.

They are inspecting helmets for cracks, dents, stickers, padding, custom paint jobs, broken straps and anything else that might constitute a danger to the rider. From the “helmets” I have seen people riding with, the local helmet sellers are going to do a roaring business for the next few months.

We grabbed the paper work we need to fill out and the lovely lady had a quick look at our helmets and indicated that they will be fine. We have till the end of September (then they will charge a fee for the sticker) to get our helmets approved.

I’ll take the helmets and paperwork back later this week for the approval process.

We had a brownout from 12:00noon to 1:45pm (1 ¾ hours) just to keep us on our toes.

Tuesday 31st July:

Tropical Storm “GENER” is still with us today but it is showing signs of abating. The wind is dying down and the steady rain has been reduced to showers.

We had a brownout that started at 10:00pm last night and lasted till 8:00am this morning (10-hours). Not sure what that was about but could have been some power lines down from all the strong winds (Trees blown across the lines…). OOohhh well got the fridge defrosted so can’t complain.

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our early morning walk. We did a beach walk today and managed to dodge the showers.

As the tide was rather high and the sea was rather rough we had to do a few detours off the beach through the local village to get around some of the structures on the beach.

Just as I left Gerald’s, a rain shower caught me so I was a little wet by the time I got home. As I was already wet I did a quick trip into the market for a few supplies and managed to get even wetter.

Back home and into the shower and I was all good again.

After lunch it was off to Google IT for some Wi-Fi. I was able to Skype my sister Lyn in WA and have a chat. Guy was unable to get hold of Jo (Daughter) today. Ooohhh well there’s always tomorrow.

I still find it rather weird that I am out in the stormy / windy / rainy weather and I’m wet and yet I am still in shorts and tee shirt and not cold at all.

Wednesday 1st August:

This morning was one of those mornings when we just slept in without trying. With Tropical Storm “GENER” this last week it has cooled things down to the high 20C during the night and along with a nice breeze it has been great sleeping. This morning it was just so nice to lay in bed and feeling the gentle coolish breeze that before we realized it, it was 10:30am.

I had a quick cup of tea and was off to Mogpog (30km away at the top end of the island) to see Dave (Canadian) and Crissa (Local). They are expecting their first baby in September. Dave, who works in northern Canada, is here till the end of December for the birth of his daughter.

Dave is looking at getting his residency so I ran him through what I went through to give him an idea of what is involved. Crissa served up a very nice lunch.

Guy was off to Mahjong at midday.

Mid afternoon I rode back home dropping into Google IT for a quick Wi-Fi fix on the way. After dropping my stuff at the cottage I rode back into Gasan for a few supplies at the market. I dropped into the Barbarossa for an iced tea and a chat to Geoff (Pom), Lyndon (Aussie) and Dude (Yank).

Thursday 2nd August:

We awoke this morning to a bit of a panic on our side of the island. Word had come through that a westerner’s body has been found dead on Laylay beach (just north of us) by the Pulis. The Pulis were treating it as a murder case due to the extent of the injuries.

After a few texts and mobile calls all the expats checked with each other to firstly see that we were all okay and if anybody knew who it was.

The expats in our group were all accounted for thankfully. Ron (Yank), who knows everybody on the island, went to Boac and had a look at a picture of the deceased to see if her recognized him but it wasn’t anybody Ron knew.

Today was wash and massage day. Cherry was here at 8:00am for the washing and cleaning. Ailyn arrived at 10:00am for my two-hour massage which was very nice indeed.

We had a little brownout from 10:00am to 11:00am.

After lunch I did a quick run into town and caught up with Geoff (Pom) at Barbarossa for an iced tea and a chat re any further info about the dead body, but nobody knew anything further as the case is being handled by the Boac Pulis and not the Gasan Pulis (our locals).

Late in the evening Gerald got a text from Edna (Boac Pulis lady he knows) to say that they still hadn’t identified the body. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Friday 3rd August:

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our early morning walk. As it hasn’t rained for a few days we hiked back into the Boondocks to the village of Kalong. The track was okay but was borderline muddy / slippery up near the village.

Back home and Ron (Yank) dropped by for a chat. He had no further news on who the deceased is. It’s a bit of a mystery as in who he is, where he has come from and how he ended up washed up on the beach at Laylay.

After lunch it was time for a trip to Google IT for some Wi-Fi and Skype. Guy spoke to Jo who is due next week so getting excited now for the first grandchild for Lola (Grandmother) and Lolo (Grandfather).

Saturday 4th August:

Awoke to a brownout this morning. Not sure when it went off but it was in the early hours of the morning as we had the fan going in our bedroom most of the night.

It finally came back on at 4:30pm some 12 hours ish after going off. The fridge got defrosted again…..

Ron dropped in first thing for some books from our meager library and with an update on the westerner body found at Lay Lay. The Pulis still have no identification of the body. I caught up with Geoff (Pom) when I dropped Guy off at Mahjong at 11:00am and he had had a look at the photos of the victim and he didn’t recognize him.

The theory now is that the incident may have happened on one of the other islands and the body just happened to wash up on Marinduque. And of course there a few wild stories going round on the whole thing.

After lunch and still no power I had a bit of a siesta followed by some reading (Second book in an eleven book series -The Sword Of Truth – A lonngggg book) and then a nice long walk along the beach arriving home just as the power came back on.

Life is good.

Trevor & Guy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: