Day 960 of retirement

Click on a photo below for the slide show. The slide show has the descriptions of each pic below the photos. You can also leave comments in this area.

To view the full size photo in a separate window, go to the bottom right hand corner of the photo info and click on “View full size”. You can download the photo from this window if you wish.

Hi All

Saturday 22nd September:

We had a leisurely morning this morning. At 11:00am I dropped Guy off at Mahjong and came back home for lunch and a little siesta.

At 2:00pm I made my way to Google IT to post the blog and do other Wi-Fi stuff. I was going to walk in but it was toooo hot and humid so I rode in. After a couple hours there I made my way back home via the bakery for some fresh Pandecoco buns.

I arrived home (at 4:15pm) to a brownout and a lightning / rainstorm, which I suspect, caused the brownout. Power was back on at 4:45pm, so all good.

I finished reading my 62nd book of the year “Life After War: Book 2 – On The Road” by Angela White (Kindle Book). A good read about the good, the bad and the ugly of a group of people drawn together after a Nuclear War in the USA. Has a little black magic thrown in to add a bit of spice to the story.

I bought book 3 “Life After War: Safe Haven” and book 4 “Life After War: Adrian’s Eagles” from Amazon today so my reading is sorted for the next week or so.

After dinner Guy and I watched the third Millennium series movie “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest” (3 ¼ hours long) in Swedish with English subtitles. Another great movie and very close to the book.

Sunday 23rd September:

The Thunder Monster got a good wash and wax (all the painted plastic & metal and chrome bits were waxed) today after all the rainy weather this week.

I dropped Guy off at Mahjong at 10:00am and swung past the local shop for a few supplies. I tried the ATM for some cash but no go as it was off line.

At 11:30am I made my way to Google IT for some Wi-Fi prior to the expat gathering. A good expat crowd today, so we split over two tables and had many an interesting discussion.

At 4:00pm I made my home past the ATM once again but alas it was still off line. I still have plenty of cash but was just looking at a top up. Ooohhhh well, there’s always tomorrow.

Monday 24th September:

Up early and off for my morning walk with Gerald. An up and back to Kalong was the order of the day followed by iced and then hot tea.

Typhoon “Lawin” is out to the east of us (and going northwest) and by the looks of it we might get some rough weather later this week. So a quick check of the cupboards for non-perishable foods and our rice supplies was made and a list to re-stock produced.

Our drinking water is fully restocked, we have a full spare gas cylinder (1 full cylinder lasts us 80-90 days) and the Thunder Monster is full of gas.

Feel a bit like a “Doomsday Prepper” The show “Doomsday Preppers” (American) is big here on satellite TV.

So after a nice cool refreshing shower and breakfast it was off to the market for some pre-Typhoon supplies.

We had a relaxing afternoon snoozing and reading and pottering round the cottage.

Tuesday 25th September:

Still no effects from Typhoon “Lawin” on the island. Hopefully it will continue to go north.

Bit of a sleep in with John (Pom) arriving for a chat at 9:30am. At 10:30am it was off to the market for a few more supplies. I stopped in at the ATM on the way home and it is still “Offline”. That’s three days now. OOoohhh well it will be back “Online” one day. We still have some cash so all good.

I dropped Guy off at Mahjong at midday.

At 2:00pm it was off to Google IT for some Wi-Fi. On the way home I dropped into Barbarossa for an iced tea with Geoff (Pom) and Arthur (New aussie). I’m catching up with Arthur tomorrow to have a chat about island life and getting his Filipino residency.

We had a brownout at 9:30pm so we read for a while then went to bed. The power came back on sometime after midnight.

Wednesday 26th September:

This morning we are feeling some minor effects from Typhoon “Lawin”. The sea is rough, the sky is all stormy and the humidity is very sticky.

A quiet morning with a beach clean up and rubbish burn up. At midday I dropped Guy off at Mahjong. At 1:00pm I made my way to Google IT for some Wi-Fi.

A quick check of the ATM confirmed that it still isn’t working (day 4 and counting).

At 2:30pm I caught up with Arthur (New aussie) and had a good long chat to him about island life, getting his residency and life in general.

Thursday 27th September:

The rough seas and high humidity of Typhoon “Lawin” are still with us today.

Cherry here first thing for the washing and cleaning day. Ailyn arrived at 9:30am for Guy’s massage.

While all this was going on I did a quick trip to town to try the ATM once again. Day 5 and still not working. So I headed for Boac, the capital (44km round trip) to try my luck there. Two ATMs were also offline there, but the third one was okay so I’m now cashed up.

On the way home I dropped into the Boac Hospital (The main one on the island). Some years ago they started building a new wing and it was stopped, half built. This wing is now being completed and a whole new wing added behind.

The existing hospital is a bit long in the tooth and the new hospital will be very welcomed by all. They are hoping to attract more visiting Doctors from the mainland to work here periodically with the new facilities.

Currently the Boac hospital can treat normal cases (Births, cuts and abrasions, broken bones (nothing complicated) and “normal” sicknesses) but for anything special you need to go to Lucena or Manila. Hopefully with the new hospital more ailments can be treated here.

I also dropped into a new “Resort” being built back in the hills. I have heard of this place so went exploring. I found this large complex nestled back in the foothills. They have completed a large swimming pool with Nipa huts for shade, a two-sided climbing wall and a Zip line from the top of the hill which is about 300m long. There are some other buildings going up and one large complex that looks like a hotel.

The view from the top of the Zip line is pretty good as you can see down towards the coast and out to sea. I wish them well and hope they manage to get some tourists to come once it is completed.

After lunch we rode into Google IT for some Wi-Fi. Arthur (New aussie) was there as well so had a chat to him.

I finished reading my 63rd book of the year “Life After War: Book 3 – Safe Haven” by Angela White (Kindle Book). A good read about the good, the bad and the ugly of a group of people drawn together after a Nuclear War in the USA. Has a little black magic thrown in to add a bit of spice to the story. Now reading book 4.

Friday 28th September:

Up early and met Gerald on the road for our morning walk. We did the creek walk from the cottage looking for another track along side the creek but we found none.

We did get to the headwaters of the creek and found a track going left into the hills so we took it. Last week we went right at the fork. This turned out to be a great little walk that ran parallel to the creek in the next valley over. We followed it all the way down back to the main road.

After lunch it was off to Google IT for some Wi-Fi and Guy was able to Skype the family back in Canberra, AUS.

Life is good.

Trevor & Guy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: