Day 1016 of retirement

Click on a photo below for the slide show. The slide show has the descriptions of each pic below the photos. You can also leave comments in this area.

To view the full size photo in a separate window, go to the bottom right hand corner of the photo info and click on “View full size”. You can download the photo from this window if you wish.

Hi All

Saturday 17th November:

Rubbish day today. I got the incinerator going nicely with dry coconut palms and burnt up our house rubbish. Also did a beach cleanup and got that all burnt up as well.

Guy off to Mahjong at 11:00am. At 1:00pm I made my way to Google IT to post the blog and play with HAM and Police web pages some more for a couple of hours

Back home and decided to let my MacBook battery go flat and turn off (I do it every few months). All good and managed to bring it out of hibernation. Then decided to do reboot as well as it has been a few weeks.

Well my MacBook failed to boot. After a couple of times trying to turn it on via the power button there was nothing, just the initial white screen.

A quick boot into “Safe” mode worked so I ran Verify file permissions and Verify Disk and it all came up clean. I then did another shut down and a reboot and all back to normal.

A few nervous moments were had in the last hour….. I do have very up to date backups using “Time Machine” just to be sure to be sure….

I finished reading my 69th book of the year “Inside Steve’s Brain” by Leander Kahney (Kindle Book). A real great read about Steve Jobs and Apple. After reading about Steve and his vision for innovation it makes you wonder how Apple will survive without him. He certainly was a one of a kind and yes I am a great fan of his.

My reading has slowed down a bit with all our visitors and working for the Police and the Hiking Association of Marinduque (HAM) stuff. But I’m back into it again now.

Sunday 18th November:

The Thunder Monster got a good wash and wax after getting caught in a few rainstorms this week.

I made my way to Google IT at 11:00am and Guy was off to Mahjong at midday. Also at midday I made my way to Barbarossa for the expat gathering.

Home later in the afternoon and a nice little brownout from 6:00pm to 8:00pm (2-hours). Guy played an extended Mahjong session till midnight tonight. The house owner has a Trike so he dropped her off at the cottage after the game.

Monday 19th November:

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our morning walk. It was only Gerald and I this morning. Gil was going to join but had to pull out last night. We did the walk to Calong and through to Bilog to explore the erosion on the trails up there after the Typhoon.

There are two trails leading to Bilog. One is up a gully and the other along a ridgeline. The gully trail was severely washed out at the bottom with about 1.5m of soil washed away in places. There was a big land slip also that has come down a side creek and flowed into the gully in one 50m section.

On trail two along the ridge the erosion was okay. There was one 150m section down at the bottom where the trail has been covered in debris and blown down trees. Now that we know where the fallen trees are, we will make a new track round them.

Next time we are up there we will take a Bolo (Jungle slasher) and clear our new path. Back to Gerald’s and the cold iced tea was very refreshing as the humidity was pretty high today back in the boondocks.

After a shower, it was into the market for some supplies. On the way in we had a chat to the owners of a house in town that is about to be vacated by some American Missionaries. The owner’s son is going to live in the house so it isn’t up for rent. We were just interested.

Home at 11:00am just as a brownout hit. It only lasted for 40 minutes so all good. After lunch we made our way to Google It for some Wi-Fi. Arrived home just as a light rainstorm hit.

Another brownout hit us from 5:30pm to 9:00pm (3.5 hours).

Tuesday 20th November:

Market day today. But before we left John (Pom) dropped in on the way to see Geoff (Another Pom) who is rather ill at the moment. At 9:00am we made our way to the market and stocked up on a few supplies.

Guy was off to Mahjong at midday. As it was a nice day (overcast and not too humid) I went for a cruise down Buenavista way (South) on the Thunder Monster. It was great cruising down the coast and just “riding” to where ever my fancy took me.

Then it was back to Gasan and Google IT for my Wi-Fi fix for the day. I picked up some sweet Lansones on the way home and retired in the late afternoon with a nice cold iced tea.

Wednesday 21st November:

After breakfast it was a quick trip into town to pick up a bag of fresh Lansones. We finished up eating 4kgs of Lansones between us today. Great for the digestive system….

After lunch Guy was off to Mahjong and I meet Gerald at Google IT at 2:00pm to show him the ropes of our Hiking Association of Marinduque wordpress web page.

Guy turned up at 2:30pm as she was on her way to see Rose, the hairdresser (Just round the corner from Google IT) for a trim. At 3:00pm Gerald left and a half-hour later Guy and I made our way back to the cottage.

Thursday 22nd November:

Cherry here for the washing and cleaning. I did a quick run to the market for some supplies prior to my massage at 10:00am.

Well, Ailyn the massage lady didn’t turn up so no massage for me today. Oohhh well always next week.

Guy off to Mahjong at midday. At 1:30pm I made my way to see Berthold (German) on the other side of Gasan (15 minutes away). He is an avid Kindle reader and he had a couple of good books for me to read. He also has quite a bit of land where he lives with a big hill on it. He has made a small road up to the top where he intends to build some small cabins.

We walked up to the top (hot and bothered by the time we got there) to have a look at the view where the cottages will go. It is a great place with a magnificent view looking back into the interior.

Then off to the capital Boac for some more supplies that I can’t get in Gasan. A successful trip and even the ATM was working so all cashed up to boot. On the way home I picked up some more fresh Lansones from our supply lady.

Guy had an extended Mahjong game to midnight so an evening alone was the order of the night. I cooked up a pot of Pork spareribs for tomorrow. Of course I had to sample them to make sure they were okay.

We had a short brownout from 8:00pm to 8:45pm (45 minutes).

Friday 23rd November:

Up early and off to Gerald’s for our early morning walk. Gil joined us today and we did a loop walk via the Grotto (10km ish and 2.5 hours). This was Gil’s second walk with us and he is enjoying this hiking thing.

Back home for a nice cool shower and a morning of maintenance.

I have two head torches (Thanks Mike & Jas) and they both were broken in different places. So after a bit of cursing at hidden small screws I managed to make one good head torch out of two broken ones.

A camera cleaning followed by a backup of my MacBook Pro.

After lunch we had a quiet afternoon with a siesta, some reading and a quick trip into town for some more Lansones fruit. The two of us can eat 3kgs of this delicious sweet fruit in a day so enjoying them as they are at peak season right now. Soon they will be gone till next season.

Life is good.

Trevor & Guy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: