Day 1079 of retirement

Click on a photo below for the slide show. The slide show has the descriptions of each pic below the photos. You can also leave comments in this area.

To view the full size photo in a separate window, go to the bottom right hand corner of the photo info and click on “View full size”. You can download the photo from this window if you wish.

Hi All

Saturday 19th January:

Awoke to a very nice cool morning after the last few days of scorchers.

As we are now in the last two days of our holiday (Leave Monday) it is time to clean out the fridge and eat all the “leftovers” so Jo and Dave don’t have to take anything back to Canberra.

After lunch Guy and I took Zali for a long walk (to get her to sleep) and explored Sanctuary Cove. Interesting to note that in every street we walked there were houses for sale. Some old, some new, some single storey, some two storeys, some big, some small, some with pools, some with 3 & 4 garages. You name it, you can find it, for a price of course.

A quiet evening was had by all after watching the Australian Tennis Open.

Sunday 20th January:

It’s our last day at the holiday house so everybody had a bit of a sleep-in today. Before lunch Guy and I went for a drive to the ATM and supermarket for a few supplies.

Guy wanted to drive, as it has been nearly three years since she last drove a vehicle. She was a little tentative at first but it soon came back and she was fine.

After lunch it was packing time. After some delicate jostling of all our stuff we had it all packed into our two bags with a little room to spare. Luckily we sent most of our bulky and heavy stuff in the Door to Door box otherwise we would have been in trouble getting it all in.

After a nice little siesta we went for a drive and found a very lovely ice cream shop with some very yummy flavors. On the way back home we stopped at a beach for a stroll in the very white sand.

Dinner tonight was hamburgers and fish and chips. Being our last night we weren’t in the mood to cook.

The gang decided to stay up as we are leaving at 2:00am in the morning. I managed to catch an hour’s sleep before we headed off.

Monday 21st January:

We left Jervis Bay at 2:00am and headed for Sydney. The roads were nice and quiet but I didn’t realize how much my night vision has deteriorated. Driving round streets with streetlights is fine but on country roads with no lights I find it a struggle with my depth perception. At least there wasn’t any traffic on the roads at this hour of the morning.

Anyway we made it safely to Carly’s place to drop off Jordan and her at 4:30am. Back to the Sydney International Airport, dropped off the hire car and into Singapore Airlines for check in. We were a little early (Surprise surprise) but were at the front of the line.

The check in lady had to get some help to override the fact that I had no return ticket to AUS because I’m a Filipino resident but all sorted.

The trip from Sydney to Manila was eight hours with the last four being quite bumpy. So I wasn’t feeling the best at this stage (Motion sickness).

I was glad to have the three hours layover in Singapore where I took drugs and we had a very nice cold iced minted tea with one of the best chicken laksa’s ever.

I was nicely revitalized when we boarded for the three-hour trip to Manila. This trip was fine and I slept a lot on the way.

On arrival and through immigration Ed (Guy’s Police Chief friend) meet us. Once we had our bags he guided us straight through customs and up to meet Beth (Guy’s sister) and Albert (Husband).

Ed had organized for them to be able to park in the two minute loading zone right next to departures while they waited for us to arrive. We were ferried back to Beth’s house and we crashed big time.

Tuesday 22nd January:

We both had a great sleep after a big day yesterday. After a slow morning we headed to the mall at 10:30am. We got the few things we needed to take back to the island and chilled at Starbucks with a nice Chai Latte.

We had an early dinner at Shakey’s and back to Beth’s for an early night. We decided to stay an extra night in Manila to meet up with guy’s cousin and her American fiancé tomorrow.

Wednesday 23rd January:

Up and off to the mall at 11:00am as we are meeting Remy (Guy’s cousin) and Joseph (Her American fiancé (Ohio)) for lunch. They meet over the Internet and this is Joseph’s first visit to the Philippines to meet her family and he proposed to her as well. They both have kids from pervious relationships that are somewhat grown up.

Joseph is looking at getting work in the Philippines either with the existing company he works for or something new up in the Clark area. Clark was the old American airbase that was abandoned in the Marcos era but is slowly being repopulated by the Americans once again. Joseph is an okay guy and gets our approval…..

They came back to Guy’s mum’s house with us to meet one of Remy’s nephew who was staying there temporarily while trying to find work. We packed our bags and off to the JAC Liner bus depot for the trip home.

We left Manila at 5:30pm and after a bus, Ro-Ro and bus ride we were home at 4:30am (11 hours later). We both managed to get some sleep on the bus and Ro-Ro (We each had a padded bench seat to sleep on).

Thursday 24th January:

When we opened the house we were greeted by shall we say a large number of dead cockroaches (The big ones). I gave the place a good spray before we left and it did the job. A quick sweep and they were all gone. The rest of the house was fine after six weeks away.

After a cup of tea it was off to bed. Guy slept but I was wide-awake. So after 1.5-hours of tossing and turning I got up and started the unpacking. Our bags seemed like the Tardis (From Dr Who) where the more I took out, the more seemed to grow in the bags.

Then it was time to crank up the Thunder Monster. She has been idle for the last 6 weeks so she took a bit to get going. I forgot to disconnect the battery so it was struggling on the starter. A few kicks on the foot crank and off she went. She was running a little rough so a quick burst up the road fixed that.

The Thunder Monster is a go……

After lunch I dropped Guy at Rose’s the hairdresser for a cut and I stopped in at Google IT (Just up the road from Rose) for some Wi-Fi. Guy joined me after her cut for some Skype with Jo and Zali.

But wouldn’t you know it we were welcomed back to the island with a nice little brownout which lasted from 2:00pm to 4:00pm ish. So no Skype today.

I did a visit to see Gerald (Pom) for a catch up on the Hiking Association of Marinduque (HAM) and other happenings on the island. He has walks organized for Monday and Tuesday so time to work off those extra kilos I caught in AUS.

Friday 25th January:

Well, as of last night we have decided to put our retirement on hold and come back to Australia for a couple of years to support Guy’s son Jordan (17 years old).

For the full story, see below “Moving Back To AUS”.

At 9:00am John (Pom) and Yolanda (Wife and our landlord) arrived. We told them of our return to Australia, which stunned them a bit. But they were great.

We can stay at the cottage on a weekly rent till it is time to leave.

John will buy the Thunder Monster so we can ride it till the day we leave.

And they have offered to store anything we want to leave here. We may take them up on that and leave all our pots, pans, tools and anything non-perishable here in one of our water barrels (It isn’t much). Saves sending it back to Manila.

Yolanda has also offered to look after our block and have her boys clear it twice a year while we are away. So that is one less thing to worry about.

A quick trip to the market was in order for some supplies.

At midday I dropped Guy off at Mahjong (She hasn’t played since mid December so the hands were a little twitchy…..) and I hit Google IT to send off the emails to let my family know what our plans are.

During the afternoon I caught up with Ron (Yank) and Gerald (Pom hiking partner) and told them of our plans. Gerald also offered to store stuff for us if required.

They are sad to see us go but we will be back in a few years so all good.

To finish off the night we had a brownout from 8:45pm to 9:45pm. Then the power went off again at 11:00pm so we went to bed. It came back on sometime in the middle of the night.

Life is good, challenges and all….

Trevor & Guy

Moving Back To AUS:

Well, how things can change in an instant. We are coming back to Australia for a few years.

Jordan (Guy’s 17 year old son) has been living with his Dad Michael, his partner Cat and their 3 kids (2 boys age 7 & 6 & 1 girl aged 3).

When we were in Jervis Bay it became apparent that things were not going too well with this arrangement.

Jordan has had great support from Carly (His girlfriend) and other school friends but there is only so much they can do in this situation.

So after much discussion with Jo, Jordan and us, we have decided to come back to AUS and support Jordan for his year 12 this year and for however long it takes to get him on his feet and independence. We suspect it will be a few years.

Having lived the simple life for nearly 3 years, we know we can do it anywhere in the world now. Luckily Jo has a 2-bedroom unit in Dee Why (currently rented), Sydney. She is giving the tenants notice to leave (90 days notice required) and then Guy and I will be back and move in with Jordan.

It is a bit of a wait but it will give us time to move our stuff back to Manila (Beth’s place) and sort out what we need to bring back to AUS. The rest will stay at Beth’s for our return. Luckily we don’t have much to sort out so all good.

Jordan is a lot happier now that he knows we are coming back and is happy to survive for the next little while.

Also luckily we have 80% of the household furniture, cutlery and crockery in the unit’s garage as we left it there for Jordan for when he gets a place of his own. So we just need to move it upstairs.

We will get a small secondhand car (Like a Yaris…….) and a few white goods which we may just rent or source secondhand from the local papers. It can then all be left to Jordan when we leave to continue our retirement.

We will both then get work. We are not going back into the corporate thing unless we really really have to. All we want is the simple life with simple jobs.

The upsides of this are pretty good.

  • We help Jordan through year 12 and be there for his graduation.
  • We see more of Jo, Dave and Zali as she grows over the next few years.
  • We will be there for Jo and Dave’s wedding at the end of 2014.
  • We get to see more of you all back in AUS (Including my family in Adelaide).
  • We get a top up on our Superannuation a bit more while working.
  • We have our retirement simple life place sorted and will be back (We are keeping our land here).

The aim is to come back to Marinduque once Jordan is independent and settled and continue our retirement.

Having lived the simple life for the last 3 years and having meager possessions makes this move a simpler one for us. And it will be easy for us to come back to Marinduque as well.

So there you go, how things can change, hey.

Guy and I are in full support of each other and the whole adventure and see this as just another of life’s little challenges. Who knows what new exciting adventures it will bring us.

As someone once said:
“Do one thing each day that scares you”.
Today’s scare has been fulfilled….

PS: And for those of you that know me too well, the Excel spreadsheet and Word document has been created with all we have to do here and in AUS for the move……

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: